Fried Trout Agrodolce (sweet and sour)
Makes 8 first course servings
Preparations like this are done all around the Mediterranean with all manner of fish. You can top the fish with the onion mixture as we’ve done here or pour the onion mixture over the cooked fish and allow to marinate for a couple of hours. This is known as escabeche. Sweet and sour onion topping can be made a day or two in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator. Reheat to serve.
- 1 cup Beyond the Olive Arbosana Blend extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium white onions, peeled, halved and sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 cup white wine vinegar (5 %)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp sugar, or to taste
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless trout separated into 8 fillets
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups unseasoned dry bread crumbs such as Panko
Add 1/2 cup of oil to a large skillet and set the pan over medium low heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and cook very gently, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and golden, 25 minutes or so.
Stir in the vinegar, orange juice, raisins, pine nuts and sugar and raise the heat to medium and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes or so or until lightly thickened. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. Set aside.
Wipe out the skillet and rinse fish and pat dry. Arrange the flour, eggs and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Dip the fish first in the flour, then the egg and finally the bread crumbs making sure that fish is evenly coated. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Heat remaining 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the fish, turning once until it’s golden on both sides, about 4 minutes total. You may need to do in batches. Serve with a big dollop of the agrodolce mixture on top of the fish.
Provided by Chef John Ash © 2010
Photo Source: NewPortNaturalHealth.com